PeriodonticsHome | Periodontics
Periodontic procedures performed in our office by Dr. Burgess:
There are many different situations that can lead to the loss of teeth, including trauma, dental diseases and tooth decay. Dental implants are a safe and effective long-term replacement for missing, broken or decayed natural teeth. Implants are very versatile and can be used to replace a single tooth, as well as multiple teeth or even an entire set of teeth. They can also act as supports for bridges, partials and dentures as well.
If we determine that dental implants are the best treatment option for you, we will refer you to a specialist who will surgically place the implant. Once you have healed, we will restore the implant so that it looks, feels and functions like your natural teeth. Dental implants will involve Dr. Burgess working closely with an oral surgeon or periodontist to ensure you receive the highest level of care throughout the entire procedure.
There are many types of options for implants, the first being whether you choose a removable or fixed tooth replacement to attach to them.
- A removable tooth replacement is joined to the implants by a connecting device, such as a clip and bar, which allows you to take the replacement out for cleaning.
- A fixed tooth replacement allows for easy maintenance and cleaning since the replacement is permanently attached to the jawbone. There is no need to remove for cleanings.
Types of implants:
- Single – a single tooth replacement is used to replace only one missing tooth. One implant is all that’s needed for support.
- Partial – a partial tooth replacement replaces two or more teeth. Two or three implants are used for support. This is used as an alternative to a bridge.
- Complete – a complete denture set replaces all of the teeth in an upper or lower jaw, or both. The number of implants depends on whether we use a fixed or removable prosthesis.
The total process of receiving implants takes two surgical procedures and full treatment can take anywhere from 6 to 8 months.